Sunday, March 21, 2010

Curry Carrot Soup with Black Eyed Peas

here's my new plan: once home after a long tour, A)sleep as much as humanly possible and B)eat mostly vegetables.

because of my food sensitivities to wheat and dairy, i find myself eating a lot of meat on the road for sustaining protein. lots of salads too, but after so many days in a row of salad, i feel like a bunny rabbit.

it's so nice to come home to a stove and my spice rack.

oh, and C)exercise every day. probably the most important, and most difficult rule to keep. :)

Recipe for the soup is in an earlier post. The way I prepared the black eyed peas:

I bought a bag of them dry (99 cents!) I rinsed them then soaked them overnight in a bowl with at least twice as much water as beans. (Just leave it on the counter and it's so fun to see them the next morning all puffed up!) Then, I added the beans and their liquid to a soup pot and added more liquid - I used an entire box of chicken broth. Then I added 2 whole, peeled shallots, about an 1/8 of a teaspoon Tamari sauce (or soy sauce) and a dash of hot sauce. I let them simmer all day, or about 4 hours. Delicious! (The beans will soak up the liquid, so if they get too dry, add more.)


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment